We are proud to be designated by the U.S. Department of State as an Exchange Visitor Program sponsor, allowing us to host international researchers under J-1 Visa status. Whether you are a prospective exchange visitor or already part of the Carnegie community, we are here to support your journey. 

The purpose of the J-1 Visa is to increase mutual understanding between people of the U.S. and people of other countries through educational and cultural exchanges, thereby strengthening the ties between the nations. Every year, Carnegie sponsors exchange visitors to conduct research.

At the time of appointment, the exchange visitor is expected to return home upon completion of the activity.

Exchange visitor categories available to international appointees at Carnegie are:

  • Short-Term Scholar: J-1 Visa Short-Term Scholars come to the U.S. on a short-term visit (six (6) months or less) for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills.
  • Research Scholars: J-1 Visa Research Scholars come to the U.S. to primarily conduct research in connection with a research project.
  • Specialist: The Specialist category is for experts in a field of specialized knowledge or skills, who visit the United States for purposes of observing, consulting, or demonstrating their special skills. The maximum duration of stay is one year.

As a non-U.S. citizen, you will need a Visa to enter the U.S. The J-1 exchange visitor Visa allows eligible participants to come to the U.S. for a temporary stay, if participating in the J-1 Visa program.

Explore the resources and guidance provided to ensure a successful experience as a J-1 exchange visitor at Carnegie Science. 

Applying for the J1-Visa

Program Details

J-1 Visa Processing Flow Chart

J-1 Visa Flow Chart