- Our Mission
- Our History
- Our Research/Who We Are
- Our Name
- Andrew Carnegie's 23 Organizations
- Accomplishments and Awards
- Board of Trustees
- Financial Statements/Annual Report
- 990 Tax Return
- Travel Directions
- Washington DC Information
- Contact Us
- Events & Venues
- Supporting Carnegie
- Articles of Incorporation
- Annual Report "Year Book"
- Books in Print
- Books Online
- Books Out of Print
- Carnegie Newsletter
- Department Booklets
- Legacy Project
- Scientific Publications
- Publications Tally and Bibliography
- Sign up to Receive Carnegie Publications
The Carnegie Institution has published over 600 books since 1902. The following books are available from the institution's website, but as of July 1, 2007, we are no longer selling bound versions of our publications.
If you have any questions or problems -- and especially suggestions for improvement -- please address them to John Strom at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The downloadable books available online at this site are provided for scientific and scholarly use only. Your downloading of material from this site constitutes your agreement not to sell this material or distribute it for profit.
Department of Terrestrial Magnetism Monographs, Carnegie Institution Publication 175 in 26 volumes
Ceramics for the Archaeologist, by Anna O. Shephard, 1956.
Notes from a Ceramic Laboratory, by Anna O. Shephard with H.B. Gottlieb, E.W. Andrews, and H.E.D. Pollock, 1977.
A Revised Shapley-Ames Catalog of Bright Galaxies, by Allan Sandage and G.A. Tammann, 1981, 2nd edition 1987.
General Catalogue of Stellar Radial Velocities, by Ralph E. Wilson, 2nd printing 1963.
Cumulative Bibliography 1902-1963
The California Earthquake of April 18, 1906: Report of the State Earthquake Investigation Commission, Andrew C. Lawson, Chairman, 1908, reprinted 1969.
Physical copies of the report may be available from the California Geological Survey, who may be contacted at Menlo Park (650 688 6327) or in Sacramento, California (916 445 5716).
Atlas of Maps and Seismographs Accompanying the Report of the State Earthquake Investigation Commission upon the California Earthquake of April 18, 1906 is available from The David Rumsey Historical Map Collection www.davidrumsey.com
Geochemical Transport and Kinetics, by A.W. Hofmann, B.J. Giletti, H.S. Yoder, Jr., and R.A. Yund, eds., 1974.
Developmental Stages in Human Embryos, by Ronan O'Rahilly and Fabiola Muller, 1987.
Expeditions Sponsored by Carnegie
China: Exploring the Interior - 1903-1904 (courtesy of and copyright The Robert M. Sargent Family, 2004. All rights reserved.)
The Search for Understanding: Selected Writings of Scientists of the Carnegie Institution, Published on the Sixty-Fifth Anniversary of the Institution's Founding, Edited by Caryl P. Haskins. 1967.
Drosophila Guide: Introduction to the Genetics and Cytology of Drosophila melanogaster, by M. Demerec and B.P. Kaufmann (with revisions by A. Spradling), 1940, 10th edition 1996 (PDF 11.4 MB)
Genetic Variations of Drosophila melanogaster, by D.L. Lindsley and E.H. Grell; 1968.
A Review of the Archaeoceti, by Remington Kellogg, 1936 (PDF 46 MB) Large file may require a few moments to download.
Algal Culture: From Laboratory to Pilot Plant, J.S. Burlew, ed., 1953.
Experimental Studies on the Nature of Species, Vol. VI: Interspecific Hybrid Derivatives between Facultatively Apomictic Species of Bluegrasses and Their Responses to Contrasting Environments, by William M. Hiesey and Malcolm Nobs; 1982.
Guayule (Parthenium agentatum Gray): A Rubber-Plant of the Chihuahuan Desert, by Francis Ernest Lloyd; 1911.
Perspectives in Science
#2. How Galaxies Rotate (1986)
#3. Becoming a Scientist (1987)
#4. One Scientist's Journey (1988)
#5. The Chemistry of Ancient Life (1992)
#6. Jumping Genes (1994)
Condensed Collections of Thermodynamic Formulas for One-Component and binary Systems of Unit and Variable Mass, by George Tunell; 1985
Access to the Photographic Atlas of Selected Regions of the Milky Way, CIW publication #247, 1927, is provided courtesy of the Georgia Institute of Technology Library and Information Center.
The Cactaceae, Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3, & Vol. 4 by N. L. Britton & J. N. Rose, 1919-1923
Taxonomy of the Amebas, with Descriptions of Thirty-Nine New Marine and Freshwater species, by Asa Arthur Schaeffer, 1926
Researches of the Department of Terrestrial Magnetism. (The following PDFs are derived from microfilm versions of the publications. Note that these are very large files. They are currently being processed into multiple, smaller files for quicker individual download.)
- Vol. XV. ROONEY, W. J. Earth-Current Results from Huancayo Observatory, Peru, 1932-1942. 1949. v + 339 pp., 24 figs., 300 tables. (PDF Entire volume: 97.5MB Page sections: 1-10: 2MB; 11-20: 1MB; 21-30: 1.6MB; 31-40: 2.3MB; 41-50: 3MB; 51-60: 3MB; 61-70: 2.9MB; 71-80: 3.1MB; 81-90: 3.3MB; 91-100: 3.2MB; 101-110: 3MB; 111-120: 2.8MB; 121-130: 2.6MB; 131-140: 2.4MB; 141-150: 2.2MB; 151-160: 2.3MB; 161-170: 2.3MB; 171-180: 2.2MB; 181-190: 2.3MB; 191-200: 2.3MB -- additional page sections forthcoming)
- Vol. XVI. ROONEY, W. J., and O. H. GISH. Earth-Current Results from Watheroo Observatory, Western Australia, 1932-1942. 1949. v + 305 pp., 16 figs., 293 tables. (PDF 94.5MB)
- Vol. XVII. WAIT, G. R., and O. W. TORRESON. Atmospheric-Electric Results from Watheroo Observatory, Western Australia, 1924-1934. 1948. v + 569 pp., 24 figs., 532 tables. (PDF 240.3MB)
- Vol. XVIII. WAIT, G. R. Atmospheric-Electric Results at Tucson Magnetic Observatory, 1931-1934. 1948. v + 169 pp., 15 figs., 149 tables. (PDF 79.9MB)
- Vol. XIX. TORRESON, O. W., and G. R. WAIT. Atmospheric-Electric Results from Huancayo Observatory, Peru, 1924-1934. 1948. v + 547 pp., 14 figs., 512 tables. (PDF 188.6MB)